[AusNOG] Cisco 9951 phones w/ SIP firmware

Tim G tim at digitalpacific.com.au
Wed Dec 14 10:46:36 EST 2011

Hi Guys,

I am just wondering if anyone here has had any experience in getting
Cisco 9951's working with anything that is not Cisco Call Manager?

I have managed to get the Cisco phone upgraded to the latest SIP
firmware, cmterm-9951.9-2-2SR1-9.

The phone boots and pulls config files provided on my TFTP server.

However, the whole process fails miserably when the phone requests two
files off the TFTP server, which do not exist.
English_United_States/lk-sip.jar and United_States/g4-tones.xml.

I managed to get most of the files that the phone seemed to be
requesting from CME_8.8_Locale.rar, however it appears that not all the
files are actually there.

Infact, in this file, there is no lk-sip.tar, and the only file similar
to g4-tones.xml is actually g3-tones.xml.

On the Cisco download page, there is the option to download a language
pack for CME, po-locale-en_GB-9.2.2.1000-1.cop.sgn, however this file
can not be extracted, and seems like it will only work on a CME box.

Has anyone had any luck getting these phones to work inside a non-cisco
environment?

Any help or pointers in the correct location would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Tim