[AusNOG] Why you shouldn't worry about switching to IPv6 now

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Fri Apr 15 16:04:55 EST 2011

On 15/04/2011, at 2:19 PM, Damien Morris wrote:

> I'm as pro-ipv6 as it gets, but the article isn't totally unreasonable and
> shouldn't be shouted down so quickly. For SME and home users that's
> probably more or less how it /will/ go.

Assuming the NBN actually gets built (yes, yes, I know), every single
household in Australia that's currently connected to the internet will
need to acquire new CPE within the next ten years.

As long as that new CPE is v6-capable (and it probably will be), the
end-user support part of the problem in Australia is solved.  No laggards,
no legacy, no issue with people continuing to access the internet on
hardware that only supports v4.  Just solved, done and dusted.

Solutions to most of the rest of the problem come down to us.

What's your roadmap look like?

   - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au (W)