[AusNOG] Why you shouldn't worry about switching to IPv6 now

John.Gibbins at csiro.au John.Gibbins at csiro.au
Fri Apr 15 06:44:31 EST 2011

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with a lot of what it says (not the bits about NAT or even IPv6 improving performance or security).  For small businesses, it is still difficult to even consider IPv6 due to lack of support (both in h/w and support services).

The problem is not so much the next couple of years during which IPv4 will continue to work for almost everyone, it is the time after that when IPv4 shortage starts to make an impact.  It is important that progress is made with IPv6 before then so that we don’t find ourselves in a major hole in three to five years time (or whenever).  In the short term it is the ISPs who are going to have to provide support for IPv4 without sufficient addresses otherwise they will lose business.

Although I agree with much of what is said, it gives support for those who don’t want to do anything now.  In turn, it undermines those of us who are trying to get things done.

Reminds me of the story of the guy who jumped off the top of a skyscraper.  As he went past, people on each floor heard him yell “So far, so good.  So far, so good...”.  This is a “So far, so good” article.

Regards
johng
--
John Gibbins
IT Security Operations (and IPv6 Evangelist)