[AusNOG] IPv6 Addressing

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Thu Apr 7 10:18:34 EST 2011

On Apr 7, 2011, at 5:04 AM, Jones, Rick wrote:

> I think we can safely say that the magnitude of the numbers are such that the problem will not surface for a very long time, and the technology to manage it will be very, very different.

Of course we can't.  When you stop to think about the use of one-time IPv6 addresses for each NFC-capable molecule of some compound being assembled by NFC-capable nanomachines, plus the one-time IPv6 addresses assigned to the NFC-capable nanites which will be used to scrape out the plaque from your arteries in lieu of angioplasty, plus the /64 which will be assigned to everyone at birth for his own personal utility cloud of devices, nanomachines, and the like, forever, plus the addresses assigned to each square centimeter of the Earth, Moon, and Mars for purposes of true geolocation, then the pool isn't necessarily infinite, anymore.

		The basis of optimism is sheer terror.

			  -- Oscar Wilde