[AusNOG] Katter backs Coalition - Windsor backs Gillard

Greg M gregm at servu.net.au
Tue Sep 7 19:54:28 EST 2010

We use Tandberg Edge 95 MXP devices at work, and they are marketed as "HD" -
over a 1.5Mbps SHDSL connection we are able to stream very decent video
quality to a 55" Plasma screen.

With a 5Mbps stream (500KB/s) from a VPLS link between Sydney & Perth, we
can get incredibly sharp picture quality.

I agree that pushing NBN as a solution for Video conferencing is rubbish,
because in reality you can get the bandwidth to run that now over Copper
(Annex M, Bonded DSL, SHDSL, even possible over 3G with a good signal).

As far as price goes though, even the Edge 95 MXP devices are hideously
expensive - Tandberg/Cisco have a long way to go before these solutions are
at a price point for small businesses before they would even consider a VC
solution.

Greg