[AusNOG] IPv6 Article on CNN

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Mon May 31 22:39:22 EST 2010

On 31/05/2010, at 11:56 AM, John Edwards wrote:

> On 30/05/2010, at 9:44 PM, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
>>
>> My reference to softly softly is in reference to the mass-market.
>

> For what it's worth, the retail side of the never-realised OPEL network was designed for IPv6 broadband access on the DSL service.

With all due respect, John, the retail side of the actually-realized
Telstra DSL network (the one that reaches most homes in Australia, and
which just about every ISP uses) is also designed for IPv6 broadband
access on the DSL service.

It's PPP-over-L2TP.  You can run any layer-3 protocol you want, including
IPv6.

The issue isn't whether the wholesale platform supports it, it's whether
the ISP supports it.

> At the time, no WiMAX vendor supported IPv6

... which is irrelevent.  We have WiMAX-connected customers on a pre-OPEL
network using IPv6 right now.

It doesn't matter if the WiMAX vendor supports it.

> Had the network gone ahead the industry and government would have had something of an ipv6 showcase today.

What, just like we do on the IPv6-capable Telstra Wholesale ADSL network?

Yer.

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au (W)