[AusNOG] IPv6 Article on CNN

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Mon May 31 17:47:20 EST 2010

On 31/05/2010, at 9:40 AM, Mark Andrews wrote:

> ISP's really should have been moving years ago.

That's a bit disingenuous considering that 'years ago' IPv6
wasn't actually ready.

Even today it's not ready on CPE, but we're moving ahead with
it anyway.

If we'd done it 'years ago' we'd all be wrestling with bits of
timewasting crap that was only on the IPv6 radar due to religious
and ideological battles, which has since fallen by the wayside.
(glares menacingly at the carcass of SHIM6)

Some of the industry's greatest luminaries squandered our IPv6
preparation time for _years_ by pushing their ridiculous little
barrows like that.  As long as they kept their arguments going
there continued to be no clear consensus, so the vendors did
nothing, the service providers had nothing to work with, and
the people who didn't want to spend their entire lives fighting
religious debates over obscure protocol issues ignored the whole
thing.

Who on earth would want to have implemented it 'years ago'?

> How many home routers today support IPv6?  Go to Harvy Norman, Dick
> Smith and the like and see.  Not very many.

Actually "zero".

Like, really.  Zero.

Even the ones that have a shiny "Supports IPv6" badge on them
really mean that they support 6to4 tunnels.  The asshattery runs
strong through these vendors, young padawan.

> Did you go to the home router vendors and say "we will need you to
> be shipping IPv6 capable devices by MM/YYYY" and "they will need
> this minimal level of functionality".

Yes.  We've been telling our vendors that since 2007.  For the
most part they've manifestly failed to deliver.  Some of the
biggest names in the industry are on our shitlist over that little
debacle.

(some of the other biggest names in the industry are delivering.
They'll break competitive tension by taking first-mover advantage)

> Do you have advice on your web pages stating to customers that they
> need to be buying IPv6 capable CPE equipment now?

No, because there isn't any.

> Do your web pages mention your IPv6 plans?

There are no IPv6 plans.  There are Internet access plans.

> Do you FAQ entries about IPv6?

http://ipv6.internode.on.net

Cheerio,

  - mark