[AusNOG] IPv6 Article on CNN

Kevin Karp ausnog at pps.com.au
Sun May 30 20:16:30 EST 2010

Skeeve

There's a lot in your post, I'll just focus on the issues specific to me...

>  Kevin, you'd rather show people the rewards and profits?  What profits?
>  Apart from integration and selling people new hardware, there are no real profits
>  in just 'having IPv6'.  Rewards?

I'm truly saddened that you can not (after all this time) identify these. There have been whole presentations at the IPv6 summit (I know because I've given some of them).

I am amazed to see you so unaware.

>  The only reward is being in business in a couple of years time - the
>  most important of all rewards - but you can't sell that.

Well we agree here, you need to show real benefits relevant to the business in question and that is the only true motivator.

>  APNIC, ISOC-AU, IPv6NOW (in this region) and other organisations have taken this
>  softly softly approach for far too long and where is IPv6 adoption at?

ISOC-AU and IPv6Now (I cannot speak for APNIC) have taken anything BUT a softly, softly approach. Whether it be the annual summits, or innovative product development, or representation to government our activities have been aggressive and way ahead of the market.

Just one example, close to my own activities, Studentnet has been an aggressive roll out of IPv6 infrastructure to an astute, mature, market segment. Moreover because of it, I dare say that market segment is better IPv6 prepared than the rest of Australian industry bar any, including the ISP industry.

>  It is terrible considering how close we are to the ipv4 run-out.

Again total agreement from me, but surely that tells you something about the effectiveness of the doomsayer strategy whereas I can (and have been) pointing out to you complete long term programs (read my previous 2 para's).

>This technology is critical to the Telco/carrier/isp/etc world continuing to operate...
>those who are responsible to handing out these recourses to the end users have,
>for the most part minus a few notables (such as Internode, Pipe),

AND Studentnet(via IPv6Now)!

>  have made very little progress in deploying or making this technology widely available to
>  the public/their customers.

Well the facts are that ALL of the Studentnet schools have now (and have been for 18+ months) had their IPv6 address allocations made and their web sites facilities v6 accessible - I cannot speak for others.

Regards

Kevin

--
STUDENTNET® - Highly Commended: Australian Privacy Awards 2008
    Kevin Karp                            kjk at studentnet.edu.au
    next.studentnet.edu.au                  Tel +61 2 9281 1626
    Suite 1, 89 Jones St
    Ultimo NSW 2007 Australia              Fax +61 2 9281 3047