[AusNOG] Residential DSLAM Capacity in Melbourne

Hannah Kramer hannahk at infoxchange.net.au
Wed May 26 11:50:54 EST 2010

Pardon my ignorance of Australian infrastructure and/or procedures, having only recently immigrated.

Is there any policy regarding residential DSL capacity for a local exchange?

We've recently tried to provision 17 DSL connections in metro Melbourne and were rejected by both Exetel and Internode saying only the local exchange was "full". Is this honestly the case? Would individual providers be required to provide their own equipment to expand capacity, or do residential services being shared among the same ATM virtual circuit suggest DSLAM capacity is also shared?

Regards,
Hannah