[AusNOG] Voip and QOS

Alastair Watts awatts at pett.com.au
Wed May 26 15:05:32 EST 2010

Ideally your phones or PABX should be setting DSCP for the RTP
traffic, extra points for setting it for the SIP traffic as well, and
you should be matching on that rather than a blanket range of UDP
ports. Otherwise you might end up prioritising traffic using those
ports that you don't intend to, which may adversely affect the VoIP.

If you're moving to the Cisco 1811 there's plenty of documented
examples on how to configure this.

Cheers,

Al