[AusNOG] Web Application Load Balancer recommendations

andrew khoo andrew at aussie.net
Sat May 22 15:29:17 EST 2010

On Sat, 22 May 2010, Darren Moss wrote:

> Thanks Gents for your replies.
>
> We currently use a customised Apache on Redhat as the preferred software
> method for load balancing.
>
> The additional logic I was talking about is basically php code with a
> MySQL DB that can redirect requests based on visitor IP. It's not
> critical to have that logic integrated as we can farm it off to another
> appliance or the application servers.

to concur with the other replies to date, squid would appear to be the
best solution for you.

add to that "smart" DNS logic (based on request IP, it is not that
difficult to let squid hand off requests for most objects (particularly
static) to be served by the closest server (IP-wise, not geographic) by
your servers.

a quick google search has come up with four examples relating to this
directly. i'm sure you'll be able to find one to fit your infrastructure.

---
andrew at aussie.net
twitter/aim/fb: bigbearoz