[AusNOG] SMH: "No room at the internet"

Kevin Karp ausnog at pps.com.au
Thu May 20 13:26:16 EST 2010

Hi David

 >Most users need very few ports, ...

Very true, but even a few ports can hurt a lot.

Last Friday I gave a presentation (IPv6: Are we there yet?) to the Assn
of Independent Schools' NSW Managers of IT in Education conference
<http://info.aisnsw.edu.au/public/AIScourses/Flyer.aspx?PDeventID=3918>
during which I mentioned Dr Miyakawa's research.

For a sysadmin needing to support the school's 300 year 8 geography
students simultaneously needing to access Google Maps in the first few
moments of period 3 in order to complete their in class assignment
avoiding NAT at all costs is a very attractive proposition!

When I showed the effects, and worked through the numbers, realisation
of the benefits of IPv6 was instant.

Regards

Kevin

--
STUDENTNET® - Highly Commended: Australian Privacy Awards 2008
    Kevin Karpkjk at studentnet.edu.au
    next.studentnet.edu.au                  Tel +61 2 9281 1626
    Suite 1, 89 Jones St
    Ultimo NSW 2007 Australia              Fax +61 2 9281 3047
    ABN:90 001 966 892