[AusNOG] SMH: "No room at the internet"

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Thu May 20 11:38:42 EST 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Richard Bayliss <bayliss at juniper.net> wrote:
> I think the event Narelle was referring to was the Juniper Network's J-Tech
> Forum 2008.

Yes, indeed,  he was brilliant. After which I started quite a
discussion on the multilayer NATs in place in India and people shared
debugging tips etc! Apparently there were (are probably still!) 7
layer NATs in existence there.

And despite the various delightful presentations I have seen from the
high quality vendors around, I remain completely unconvinced that
carrier grade NATs are anything more than an oxymoron, but
unfortunately, I can see us all working on projects to install them in
the next few years regardless. [Aaah, yes, back to the days of yore
when we dropped protocol gateways around the place. I'll have to do
the maths and compare the proportionate performance throughputs with
128k across the Pacific, terminal servers and fewer users...]

dual stack it folks, the pain will be less...

> Also, the long version, which is similar to the presentation he did for
> J-tech, is can be found here:
>
> http://www.nttv6.jp/~miyakawa/IETF72/IETF-IAB-TECH-PLENARY-NTT-miyakawa-extended.pdf

Thanks - this is better than the copy I still have from J-Tech. :-)
[Which was in Bangkok right near the current news reports!!]

> -----Original Message----- From:  Kevin Karp
> Sent: Thursday, 20 May 2010 6:57 AM
> Prof Hiroshi Esaki included Dr Miyakawa's results at the IPv6Hui in NZ last
> year. His presentation can be found here:

I'm pretty sure I saw him do the same at another IPv6 talk somewhere, too...

Either way - the illustration is brilliant, and it does not take into
account the number of sessions spawned by the likes of bittorrent...

--

Narelle
narellec at gmail.com