[AusNOG] SMH: "No room at the internet"

David Connors david at codify.com
Thu May 20 12:57:53 EST 2010

On 19 May 2010 22:40, Narelle <narellec at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was reminded of this recently when someone posted a request for
> recommendations on proxies - due to P2P users squeezing out all the
> other conference attendees when they had stolen all the available port
> mappings. Take a look at the future...

FWIW, I received zero worthwhile recommendations for that NAT problem I
posed (and one worthwhile one for the shaping request). The specific port
exhaustion issue was really an issue with how Windows manages the public
side of the NAT but still ... Every time I ask people what to use for 3500
people behind NAT on one network they just look at me blankly.

Mark Newton's comment about NAT sucking is correct - but I think we will be
using NAT on v4 address space for the foreseeable future.

Most users need very few ports, but there is always the edge case/a-hole
factor to contend with:
http://www.techedbackstage.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Client-port-utilisation.png
(I
had another chart during the event that I couldn't lay my hands on for that
post that showed a few users with ~3000 mappings).

--
David Connors (david at codify.com)
Software Engineer