[AusNOG] SMH: "No room at the internet"

craig at askings.com.au craig at askings.com.au
Wed May 19 15:07:57 EST 2010

> According to this (http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/dfp/all/?country=au)
> only 25% of allocated ipv6 is actually being announced in Australia.
>
> It's hard for smaller operators to justify rolling out ipv6 at the moment
> unless the big boys get on board, maybe it's time for us smaller operators
> to start putting our foot up someone's backside at our upstream providers
> to get ipv6 moving forward in a realistic time frame.

We were lucky that our main upstream does ipv6 natively (Hi macca,
james!), between that and the local PIPE IX our v6 route table is looking
pretty good. Are you in a rack near by another ISP who is in the global
table, perhaps you could ask them to snake you an ethernet cable and some
ipv6. Failing that go for a he.net tunnel. It isn't pretty but it is
better than nothing.

> My scenario is this at the moment, I have a small base of customers
> utilising ipv4, I could go ahead and re-deck our core out and ipv6 enable
> it, however my up streams aren't doing ipv6 yet (and no replies back from
> them as to when they will be), so I've basically got no global ipv6
> connectivity. Management isn't going to open the cheque book until the
> customers are screaming for it and my providers don't seem to give a hoot
> about it at the moment, possibly more screaming from us will push this.
> Also worth mentioning at the moment is the small amount of resources on
> the internet that are ipv6 capable, I cant see a huge amount of traffic on
> the network being ipv6 (so no point buying another pipe to another
> upstream just to gain global ipv6 connectivity)

I pretty much offer ipv6 to all our ethernet connected clients so far only
two have taken me up on that offer.

> Unfortunately I don't believe for a second the small community of tech
> savvy internet consumers is going to make enough of a song & dance about
> ipv6 for it to have any real impact.
>
> So what to do? I guess all I can do is sit and wait for the time being.

Don't wait, get a tunnel start at your border routers and work back into
the core and then to the rest of your network. There is a really good
presentation on the NANOG website covering this very subject.

Craig.