[AusNOG] SMH: "No room at the internet"

Daniel Hood dsmhood at gmail.com
Wed May 19 10:54:15 EST 2010

Not trying to start one of those great mailing list wars but, I am also only
19 and working as a network engineer as well.

I just don't like the fact that theres some people of our age, who jump on
google and download the latest copy of the pass4sures of CCNA, go and get
their CCNA and then some how land a job programming routers for ISPA or
CompanyB without every having touched a router prompt before. I've seen it
happen far too often. I guess you could also blame the management or HR
departments of the companies for hiring but hey... not the point of this
discussion.

I think the learning stage is important and having the opportunities to be
able to work your way up the chain is all well and good. I just think it
shouldn' tbe done by being "thrown in the deep end" and having to fix
production equipment you have no idea with whats going on, but knowing it
back to front by the end. For the main reason that should all of the
external companies have to suffer because you've been "thrown in the deep
end" have no idea what your doing.

I learn't this way and I can remember one specific situation where I had
never touched an exchange mail server and got sent out to a job where one
was not relaying mail at all. Thus the mail server is down and I had people
in other companies suffering because they could not send emails to this
company because of my incompetency and lack of knowledge of what a smart
host was. Would never put someone through it again, that was one of the most
stressful occassions of my life.

Thats just my 2 cents.

Daniel