[AusNOG] SMH: "No room at the internet"

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Tue May 18 18:26:44 EST 2010

On 18/05/2010, at 5:27 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On Tue, May 18, 2010, Mark Newton wrote:
>
>> Or maybe not. The Radius attributes are still used, they inform the
>> DHCPv6 server that runs on the BRAS, which in turn services the
>> customer's DHCPv6-PD queries.
>>
>> But everyone knows that already, as a result of the extensive experimentation,
>> research, and communication with vendors we've all been doing for the
>> last few years, right?
>
> Well, you guys have. :)

Quite :-)

I've been trying to get a pretty simple message across to non-tech
businesses:

IPv6 will be needed _inside_ your current hardware/software refresh cycle.
It's no longer a future requirement, it's here, whether you start using it
right now or in November next year.

Some of that software that needs to be upgraded is in the heads of people
who work for ISPs.  We really need an industry-wide push to make sure
that we understand the platforms, facilities and capabilities we'll need
to offer this stuff to customers in the somewhat near future (if not the
present).

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au (W)