[AusNOG] Govt wants ISPs to record user history

Richard Bayliss bayliss at juniper.net
Fri Jun 11 14:23:03 EST 2010

I'm no lawyer, but I did have a look at the EC directive which was mentioned in the zdnet article.

There seemed to be several protections for service providers built into the document:

"(23) Given that the obligations on providers of electronic communications services should be proportionate, this Directive requires that they retain only such data as are generated or processed in the process of supplying their communications services. To the extent that such data are not generated or processed by those providers, there is no obligation to retain them. This Directive is not intended to harmonise the technology for retaining data, the choice of which is a matter to be resolved at national level.

[..]

"Art 1, 2. This Directive shall apply to traffic and location data on both legal entities and natural persons and to the related data necessary to identify the subscriber or registered user. It shall not apply to the content of electronic communications, including information consulted using an electronic communications network.

[..]

"Art 5, 2. No data revealing the content of the communication may be retained pursuant to this Directive."

(http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2006:105:0054:0063:EN:PDF)

I would assume that the Australian industry would highlight the need for something similar in anything proposed by the government.

Cheers
Rich