[AusNOG] Incorrect DNS setup

Darren Moss Darren.Moss at em3.com.au
Mon Jul 5 10:44:36 EST 2010

Hi All,

Strictly speaking you don't actually need to have a "www." at the beginning of your host/web name.
You will, however, most likely be penalised by search engines for duplicate content if your website runs with www.blah.com.au<http://www.blah.com.au> and blah.com.au.

For load balancing you don't need to have a www, www2, whatever.blah.com.au as the load balancer typically assumes the role of your webserver(s) answering requests from the public and passing them transparently to the appropriate web server sitting behind - ie: you would call the load balancer www.blah.com.au<http://www.blah.com.au>. It could still hand off to www2 and www3 .blah.com.au behind the scenes.

We use the "www" or "www2" or "something" .blah.com.au to indicate the public facing host name.

Most people just like to see / expect to see "www." when visiting websites and that's probably why you see the majority of sites with www, however it's not mandatory as its just a name.

David - Yes, correct OPsView is Nagios/Cacti with a GUI, but it is very good. You can still configure manually if you have to, but the GUI is reasonably clever and good for helpdesk staff to monitoring up and running without deep knowledge of Nagios setup/compiling/etc. One of the biggest issues we had with Nagios (on it's own) was configuration files and typos/syntax. It would stop everything from working and make life difficult for helpdesk bods who were not sure on syntax

Cheers.

Regards,

Darren Moss
General Manager
Australia and New Zealand
[p] 1300 131 083 [f] 03 9017 2287
[e] Darren.Moss at em3.com.au<mailto:Darren.Moss at em3.com.au> [w] www.em3.com.au<http://www.em3.com.au/>

em3 People and Technology | Managed Technology Experts
postal: PO Box 2333, Moorabbin VIC 3189

New Zealand Airedale Street, Auckland City
postal: PO Box 39573, Howick 2045
[p] 09 887 0550 [f] 09 887 0273