[AusNOG] [off-topic] PA Fuel Cells instead of generators forredundant power - anyone doing this?

Bob Purdon Bob.Purdon at staff.pipenetworks.com
Wed Jan 13 09:04:16 EST 2010

It's an interesting idea, and seems to have come along a bit since I
last looked at fuel cell technologies.

The last system I looked at was purely a Hydrogen system, and IIRC, its
footprint was quite substantial for a small power output.  This one,
while still hydrogen based, seems to be much more efficient (insofar as
you get a lot more power vs size).

The other interesting idea for datacentres with UPS systems is the use
of NiMH batteries.  Smaller, sustain more discharge cycles & reportedly
much more reliable than VRLA/SLA.  Less thermal runaway risk, and less
lead :-)