[AusNOG] Network Monitoring Systems

Daniel Hooper dhooper at gold.net.au
Tue Feb 9 18:00:00 EST 2010

Just thought I'd mention OpsView (opsview.org) which seems to do the trick for us. Opsview is built on nagios with a few fruity bits thrown in to make it easier. We monitor and report on a couple of hundred devices like blade centres, linux machines, windows machines, routers, switches, mux's, radio's & other paraphernalia all being monitored from a single processor P4 doing something like 700 checks a minute.

I use to run nagios + cacti, but opsview eliminated the need for cacti as it started doing its own graphing for pretty much any metric you configure it to graph.

It doesn't have any type of netflow support that I've seen yet, I haven't really looked either. SNMP trap support is rather flaky as well.

Cheerio

-Dan