[AusNOG] Network Monitoring Systems

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue Feb 9 16:58:26 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010, PRK wrote:
> G'day guys,
>
> I'm curious what people use for network monitoring, performance monitoring &
> graphing of large scale networks & systems.

The last time I did this, I coded up something myself from scratch.
Most of the devices needed SNMP polling rather than any complicated
other stuff which today I'd solve by writing nagios-style plugins.

At the time, 5 years ago, there wasn't really any sensibly efficient,
large-scale SNMP polling software that was open source save for RTG.

RTG has a rather efficient threaded poller which scales to thousands
of ports on a single polling server quite well. But its UI is non-existant -
it ships with a basic toolkit for others to implement their own UIs.

Things have changed these days. Various people have ported RTG's style
poller to other projects with better UI's - eg cacti - so you don't need
a huge array of hardware running inefficiently written SNMP pollers.

HTH,

Adrian