[AusNOG] OT: Brisbane Storm. Gentlemen, start your engines..

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Thu Dec 16 17:03:58 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Skeeve Stevens <Skeeve at eintellego.net> wrote:
> Ok, on this. What do people think of doing your own bottom of rack ups in datacentres which supposedly have good protection with UPS and Gensets, but given industry experience, aren't always 100% reliable?
>
> I'm talking only something that gives a short period of time to deal with cutover delays as exampled here.
>
> The ups can always be powered by dual feeds with a transfer switch. Thoughts?
>
> ...Skeeve

As always, it depends on your application and budget.  If you have a
lot of computers, for example, small batteries in each computer that
are long enough to deal with a mains switchover (i.e., up to a few
minutes) may be preferable because you want to save space in the rack
(and you want to avoid the relatively low efficiency of whole-room
UPSes).  Since your batteries tend to last about as long as you would
keep the computers (if compute is your business), there's one less
maintenance schedule to worry about.

-a