[AusNOG] NBN: "i want a pony! but can I afford it"

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Sat Aug 14 19:19:26 EST 2010

On 14/08/2010 10:05 AM, Tim McCullagh wrote:
> [...]
You need to look at the wholesale/retail split to see the big picture.

People connected to two of those fixed networks have only one single
service provider - they have no competitive options, other than to
switch to the third access network. Those service providers on the cable
networks are also available on the copper network, so in reality two of
those three sets of physical infrastructure provide no significant extra
retail competion at all compared to just having the copper network. They
provide some options for achieving higher performance, but not competition.

So...with the current network, we have 500-odd retail ISPs that can use
the copper network to reach their customers, with maximum ever possible
performance of 24/1 in some areas, 8/1 in other areas, and each copper
line can support only one single broadband service provider.
With the NBN, we'll have 500-odd retail ISPs that can use the fibre
network to reach their customers, with maximum performance of 100+/50+,
and each fibre line can support several simultaneous broadband service
providers.

Thats were the competition will come from - in theory.

My main concern is not actually the NBN access network portion. My main
concern is that most of the smaller ISPs won't have engaged with NBNCo
and set up wholesale access arrangements, and set up network backhaul
links to the POIs as they are established, and will lose the customers
they currently have as their customers transfer to the fibre access
network, and are forced to choose another ISP because their current
provider isn't available. The ISPs that engage early with NBNCo will
pick up market share from those that don't, progressively as the fibre
network is deployed.

>     *  You won't be able to have adsl because the copper won't be
>     available*

Tim, I'm really trying to understand your arguments, because I think you
make some very valid points. This one, I can't understand the problem -
I think three very different things are being confused - the physical
layer (copper vs fibre), the technology using the physical layer
(ADSL/ADSL2+/SHDSL etc on copper vs EPON/GPON/Point-to-point/etc over
fibre) and the availability of retail sevice providers using each of the
technologies.

If the copper is not available, you can't have ADSL - thats self
evident. If ADSL over copper is not available then GPON over fibre will
be available - with better performance - so I can't see what the problem
is. The same service providers can be available over both, so?

>     *I suggest you read the 25million NBN report recommendations and
>     other articles in the public domain about what is being
>     proposed.   I would also suggest that quiet a lot of people that
>     think they are going to get fibre may be disappointed and in some
>     cases may end up with a 12MB service of sat or maybe wireless.
>     Mostly in regional areas or city fringe areas.
>     *

(Bearing in mind that we don't know which of the recommendations in that
report will be adopted, and which will be rejected- apart from the one
recommendation to go from 90% to 93% on fibre. Just because something is
in that report doesn't mean it will come to pass.)

Thats true - but quite a lot of those people that might get a 12M
wireless service are the ones that can only get <5M on DSL, or nothing
at all, and quite a lot of those people that get a 12M wireless or sat
service are the ones that can't get anything but a lower speed sat
service now. Thats kinda the point.

Lets turn your argument around - are you suggesting that there is a
segment of the population that will be forced to receive a lower
performance technology than they currently can access? That there are
people on DSL or cable getting more than 12M now, that will be forced to
change to a lower speed technology?