[AusNOG] NBN Co Layer 2 vs. Layer 3 Services

John Edwards john at netniche.com.au
Tue Apr 27 13:27:15 EST 2010

On 27/04/2010, at 11:09 AM, Narelle wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Daniel Hood <dsmhood at gmail.com> wrote:
>> They are putting in a multicast network?
>>

> NBN Co, from what I can unravel so far, is intending to use some of
> the newer features in GPON gear to make it multicast aware. I'm still
> struggling with how this would work, and have some concerns about the
> stability and interoperability of any such implementation. The
> intention is to facilitate IPTV.

One of the implementations I've worked with before had the concept of a per-customer "multicast whitelist".

The idea is that CPE can then only join authorised multicast groups, which makes selling PayTV or premium content possible.

(Apologies if the relevant working groups have already discussed the following)

The technical parts have been solved before, the questions are going to be things like:

- how do we update a whitelist
- will a multicast group be per-provider, or per region
- if the former, who will run a multicast peering exchange or multicast transit service (didn't the Worldcom one get dismantled years ago)?
- do we need an industry standard DRM for distributing content in a way that keeps its owners happy and networks cheap
- do we want IGMPv3 for fast channel changes, or do we just 'waste' the available bandwidth
- will it be possible to cause a denial of service on your neighbourhood PON by joining too many HDTV multicast groups simultaneously
- will existing cable providers end up with an RF overlay on the fibre so they can preserve 1.6M+ installed set-top-boxes

John