[AusNOG] List charter Vs Reporters on the list

Grahame Lynch grahamelynch at commsdaymail.com
Wed Apr 14 19:08:09 EST 2010

If I can make a comment as a member of the fourth estate and someone who
tries to live by the charter, I will make several points.

1) Being on this list makes me more technically literate and helps improve
the quality of technology journalism in CommsDay. I'm sure you would all
agree that journalists all need help in that area.

2) If someone transgresses the charter they should be individually barred.
We don't ban an entire racial minority from something because some people in
their group trangress laws. I live in Thailand and we are seeing the
consequences of that type of group think on the streets currently.

3) The minute you commit something to email it is no longer private. The
number of forwarded private emails I get as a journalist is staggering. On
AusNOG you know I am here. A closed list? I might still see your titillating
emails without you knowing and no longer feel bound by your house rules. I
probably get forwarded over 500 "private" emails a year. People aren't very
ethical like that. Sad but true. If you decide to go all licentious in your
now "apparently closed list" emails you will probably get a bigger audience
not a smaller one.

4) If ten people on this list say their Optus link is down I am not sure as
a journalist I would bug you for more info. I would bug Optus. That is not
me using the list for "leads", that is me making an observation that a
carrier probably should be asked for restoration information to help them
communicate to their customer base. I would probably find out from sources
other than this list anyhow.

5) I was originally invited on to this list by a co-founder and I support
AusNOG's annual event through media promotion and other forms of support. I
would hate to be regarded as an "enemy of the state"