[AusNOG] [ISOC-AU-mems] Quigley announces architectural "stakein the ground"

John Lindsay jlindsay at internode.com.au
Thu Sep 17 11:05:46 EST 2009

It's lecture and question mode.

Nutshell from Quigley:

FTTP
or next best thing (radio, satellite)
Ethernet
L2 with security, qos, multicast
GPON
RF modulated on wavelength for TV and PayTV
POTS ports via ATA using SIP over another vlan

Dark fibre as an option.

Point to point biz services provided.

Layer 3 provided by NBN Co, not likely.

Trade press has been discussing batteries today. Quigley would love to
avoid them.

Go get involved with the CA working group. If you or your employer is
a member you can contribute directly. Anyone can get read access. I
think the eventual CA model will be the model adopted for residential
grade Internet.

Cheers,

jsl

On 17/09/2009, at 10:16 AM, Paul Grehan <pgrehan at onthenet.com.au> wrote:

> Brisbane has been and gone (Tuesday the 15th)....we'll await
> Industry connection 4 I guess.....
>
> Sydney and Melbourne are full also.
>
> -P
>
> John Lindsay wrote:
>>
>> I'm at the CommsAlliance briefing and meeting with NBN Co in
>> Melbourne. The network reference diagram on the screen envisages
>> various forms of access at every layer.
>>
>> There is another of these sessions in Brisbane.
>>
>> CA members are welcome to participate in the working group putting
>> the
>> model together. Others are welcome to watch and comment.
>>
>> Get involved or it will be done to you.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> jsl
>>
>> On 17/09/2009, at 9:52 AM, "McDonald Richards" <macca at vocus.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Steering away from the voice discussion slightly - I am actually
>>> interested
>>> in knowing if they have considered selling multicast "channels" much
>>> in the
>>> way they license existing spectrum to broadcasters and if they'll
>>> provide
>>> CIR channels for that traffic ;)
>>>
>>> Macca

>>> for current Telstra Wholesale ISPs to migrate, but also some cons,