[AusNOG] Soul/TPG buying Pipe ...

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Thu Nov 12 02:17:43 EST 2009

Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> Am I missing something?  Was Pipe in trouble and had to sell? Was
> there a downward forecast or something?

We are all missing many somethings, being on the outside of the
transaction - thats why there are quite rightly such concepts as
non-disclosures and trading halts. Its not our business, or our cash,
and $300+ million is a powerful encouragement.
Speculation about the whys and hows is futile (inevitable, but futile
:-) ), and attempting to second-guess motivations - Bevan's, SPT, or
anyone else without contribution from the principals is not much more
than mental masturbation - and I wouldn't expect much illumination in
this forum while the transaction is taking place.

Given this transaction - assuming all the ducks line up in a row - will
not be consumated until March next year, there's plenty of opportunity
for that in this forum.

Yes, it will mean significant change in the industry, and particularly
for Pipe customers - but then change and surprises are  fairly normal in
this business. I am disappointed that the first reactions on this list
were around fairly selfish and petty issues such as the possibility of
withdrawal of the benevolent Pipe trough we have all enjoyed, and Ausnog
drinks sponsorship - something easily picked up by many others. With all
the great mentors, friends and incubators that Pipe people have been to
most of us, my thoughts are with all our professional and personal
friends at Pipe  and the uncertainty they went home with tonight, and I
hope everyone comes out of the next six months in good shape.

I am absolutely confident the Pipe directors have very good reasons - in
the relatively short time I have known Bevan he's always had very good
reasons and judgement (apart perhaps from the blacklist thing!), and at
AusNOG or earlier if the opportunity arises I for one will be very glad
to stick my hand in my pocket and buy a beer for a Pipe guy instead of
sponging on their generosity yet again.

Cheers guys, all the very best for your future.

Paul.