[AusNOG] [ISOC-AU-mems] [LINK] Happy Birthday ... AARNet

Mark Prior mrp at mrp.net
Thu Mar 26 12:58:22 EST 2009

Ian Peter wrote:
> Sorry to prolong the history discussion but this is relevant to our
> understanding
>
> Geoff wrote
>
>> AARNet started out as a multi-proto network - Pete Elford and I set up
>> DECnet, X.25 and IP in the first instance.
>>

> Geoff then do you remember when AARNET became a single protocol IP network?
> For those propagating the big I small i interpretation of internet history
> in Australia (where only fully TCP/IP networks = internet) the relevant date
> would be when you became a TCP/IP network?

When I left the University of Adelaide in 1986 we were still running
DECnet on campus but it had disappeared from the router's configuration
on the link to the SA regional network (and hence to AARNet) so I would
guess around that timeframe. I suspect that it didn't get migrated
during the transition from the AGS+ to 7500 routers.

Mark.