[AusNOG] Aust Govt will build National Broadband Network, no company will be awarded the tender.

Craig Meyers Craig.Meyers at citec.com.au
Tue Apr 14 11:08:35 EST 2009

Something else to add to the business case -

Online annual sales to June 2006 in Aus- $11B[1]. So that's $1B in
direct GST revenue.

[1]
http://www.jhemans.powerup.com.au/internet_statistics/australian-interne
t-ecommerce-statistics.htm
<http://www.jhemans.powerup.com.au/internet_statistics/australian-intern
et-ecommerce-statistics.htm>

One of the benefits in the govt doing this; Govt could spend $1B a year
on internet infrastructure and still be in the black. I guess the
counter argument is that's a bit over-simplified, but then there's also
the other indirect taxes - company taxes, personal taxes of the
employees etc...

>From a federal government perspective, the revenue from this
infrastructure is more than just the direct revenue.

I'm thinking allong the lines on how other infrastructure like non-toll
roads/highways, water infrastructure etc... are financially justified.

-- Craig Meyers