[AusNOG] Small Pipe BNE/Agile issue

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Fri Jun 27 08:18:29 EST 2008

On 14 Jun 2008, at 04:01, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> PIPE allow people to advertise longer than /24s.   If we don't
> accept and pass them on then we end up with people complaining that
> some traffic takes a transit path etc to them.   Basically it's that
> a lot of people use longer-prefixes as a traffic engineering
> solution (more specific wins) rather than consistent prefix
> advertisement.

Hi,

There is absolutely nothing inherently unusual here, if a customer A
meets provider B in multiple places, and the customer wants to
guarantee that provider is doing the leg-work carrying traffic to the
customer's closest point of interconnection that the traffic is
addressed to.  But its in everyone's interest to promote good hygiene
here -- that is to say to require the customer to originate a covering
default as well, and to tag their dirty traffic-engineering deaggs
with no-export, or another negotiated community that will prevent
onward distribution to the provider's peers (and upstreams if relevant).

If a provider is strictly applying prefix-filters to customer bgp
sessions (which of course everyone will claim to be), then customers
are forced to get in touch to discuss how they want to traffic
engineer through announcements anyway, so this should be simple to do.

On 14 Jun 2008, at 13:35, David J. Hughes wrote:

> May I suggest to any PIPE or Equinix peering participants that
> expect WebCentral / MelbourneIT content to be delivered via the IX
> that they do not deaggregate past a /24 for TE purposes.  Guys, if
> the same prefix is visible via peering or transit you'd be on the
> mark if you expect us to use a peering connection wherever
> possible.  That's our decision and that's what local-pref is for.
> Gross deaggregation by the origin AS is not a reliable solution and
> is anti-social behviour.

Hear hear.

Turning off any *enforced* MLP route-servers will go a long way to
encouraging better practice -- if as your peer I don't like the way
you deaggregate a session facing me, I can drop you as a peer.

Best wishes
Andy Davidson