[AusNOG] OOB Management devices?

Phillip Grasso phillip.grasso at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 13:56:49 EST 2008

Hi folks,

Just some things to consider using public cell based/3G for OOB;

1) Critical infrastructure or not
2) would the access be critical during an disaster scenario etc, real
disasters (e.g. sept 11) / heavy periods (e.g. new years eve) show that
mobile networks can't handle that load... I'm sure mobile networks employ a
decent erlang blocking factor, by design the network is going to support
extremely load economically.
3) again sept11 lessons shown that telco operators restore analog lines
first, (often confusing digital lines etc). So does restoration time post
disaster matter? However one could argue that partial mobile network
restoration is capable of coming back much faster then hard lines.