[AusNOG] Anyone have any ancient Bay 5000/5399's lying around?

Rob Thomas xrobau at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 10:21:35 EST 2019

I probably should take this off list, BUT, some people may not be
aware of how much better Asterisk is these days!

Asterisk USED to rely on interrupt-driven timing, which was - when you
had a real timing source - super reliable. However, when you DIDN'T
have timing, you had to fudge it, and there were a bunch of extremely
fudge-y methods used, and it was awful, and people hated it.

However, Linux now has timerfd, which is an EXTREMELY accurate timing
source, and you can tell it to wake up a select(2) call every period -
20msec in VoIPs case. This actually ends up being MORE accurate than
interrupt driven hardware (well, sort of) because you'll never (except
you can) miss a tick, and you'll never slip on audio - which breaks
fax.

With all those caveats and sort-ofs aside, I feel confident that I'll
be able to push a 56k connection from a random ATA through Kamailio,
then Freeswitch/Asterisk into a PRI and then into something that talks
56k, to then establish a PPP or SLIP connection over it and connect to
the internet!

The only potential thing is that I doubt VERY much that it'll work
over G722 - G722 is a really REALLY good codec for voice, but I'm
almost certain i'll be useless for data.

> PS. you have to much time on your hands.

Shh. People will give me more stuff to do! 8)

--Rob