[AusNOG] Yay, internet censorship legislation this week too.

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Tue Mar 17 19:16:36 EST 2015

> This week clearly is 'war on the internet week' by the Coalition.

I'd forgotten how naive I was.

I was talking to a colleague a short time ago and had mentioned the
"metadata retention" thing, and how we should be pushing for "the number"
(still under consideration and not defined) in section 3.2.1 subsections
(a) and (b)) to be defined. If it were set appropriately, it would
sidestep the issue for smaller ISPs.

And then I was whacked over the head with the reality stick.

Of course, what will happen (precedints abound) is that initially this
number will be set at something like "a million". "The big few" will get
$millions to set up their infrastructure, because they're the only ones
who "will be affected by" the metadata legislation.

Wind the clock on 12 months.

With the stroke of a pen, this number is re-written to "0", and the
generous "subsidy for infrastructure" removed. Every other provider apart
from the "big few" gets completely screwed over (again).

How do we pre-empt and prevent this? Anyone got any bright ideas?
Betchya that's what happens. Betchya!