[AusNOG] FW: [Ap-ipv6tf] official shutdown date for IPv4. The date he is pushing for is April 4, 2024. "IPv4 can't go on forever, " Latour said. "

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 6 14:00:17 EST 2014

On Thu, 6 Nov 2014, Mike Jones wrote:

> For redundant routers: IPv4 Default gateway failover requires some
> kind of "smarts" in the routers to detect when the other router goes
> down and take over its IP address. For IPv6 you simply have both
> routers plugged in at the same time, if one goes down it stops
> advertising itself and clients stop using it.

Have you (or Matt Palmer) actually done this in practice? Going by the
radvd defaults, AdvDefaultLifetime works out to be 30 minutes, which means
for 30 minutes your clients would be trying a route that doesn't work.
Sure you can tune these numbers but fundamentally you're trying to
outsource your routing to end-clients that have an outdated view of the
upstream connectivity.

See also

http://blog.ipspace.net/2011/12/ipv6-multihoming-without-nat-problem.html
http://blog.ipspace.net/2014/02/first-hop-load-balancing-in-ipv6.html