[AusNOG] FW: [Ap-ipv6tf] official shutdown date for IPv4. The date he is pushing for is April 4, 2024. "IPv4 can't go on forever, " Latour said. "

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Thu Nov 6 16:22:17 EST 2014

On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 11:00:17AM +0800, James Andrewartha wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Nov 2014, Mike Jones wrote:
> > For redundant routers: IPv4 Default gateway failover requires some
> > kind of "smarts" in the routers to detect when the other router goes
> > down and take over its IP address. For IPv6 you simply have both
> > routers plugged in at the same time, if one goes down it stops
> > advertising itself and clients stop using it.
>
> Have you (or Matt Palmer) actually done this in practice?

Yes, I have done this, and it works delightfully.

> Going by the radvd defaults, AdvDefaultLifetime works out to be 30
> minutes, which means for 30 minutes your clients would be trying a route
> that doesn't work.

Defaults are just that... defaults.  Useful for the common case.  Dual
upstreams are an uncommon case, in both IPv4 and IPv6.

> Sure you can tune these numbers but fundamentally you're trying to
> outsource your routing to end-clients that have an outdated view of the
> upstream connectivity.

Everything has an outdated view of everything.  There is no such thing as
instantaneous communication.  The only question is how far out of date are
you comfortable being?

- Matt

--
<FreeFrag> The most secure computer in the world is one not connected to the
	internet.  Thats why I recommend Telstra ADSL.