[AusNOG] Netflix in AU, break up Go4, or TPG peering breakup?

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Mon Jul 21 11:18:19 EST 2014

Seriously?

Although some of you guys think Australia is a special little blossom worthy of individual care and attention, the rest of the world doesn’t.

I wouldn’t expect Netflix to special-case their deployment for Australia at all:  They’ll deploy here in exactly the same way they deploy everywhere else, and if you can’t deal with that then that’s just tough.

On Jul 20, 2014, at 9:39 AM, Joseph Goldman <joe at apcs.com.au> wrote:

> I might be completely unrealistic to think this way - But I don't think it's a stretch for ACMA/ACCC/DBCDE (whoever can set these mandates) to require connection to a public IX in either Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne.

If any of them attempt to “mandate” anything, expect Netflix to stay offshore and open access to Australians over your transit instead.  You probably won’t like that;  but they don’t owe you a living, and they don’t need to care what you like.

> Government stance - it makes sense for the betterment of afford-ability of internet in the country. It's hard to subsidise last mile - so any savings that can be made further up the chain is big winner for any size ISP’s.

The Government is entirely impotent in this area.  They cannot force an offshore provider to make decisions which are suboptimal to their business.

Expecting that the Government should swoop in and provide you with cheap easy access to traffic speaks of a massive sense of entitlement, a uniquely Australian way to look at the world.

> On topic to your point, I would think it would make sense for Netflix to join public IX - they seem to be adamant they are 'for the users' so I don't see them shutting people out and having the debacle of controversy like they do in the US.

If you’re an ISP, you aren’t a user.

Netflix can service users successfully from their existing servers in the USA and Europe by simply removing geoblocking.  MPEG over TCP isn’t latency sensitive and doesn’t care much about packet loss, so literally the only compelling reason to peer is that it makes business sense to do so.

If you want peering from them, what business advantages are you bringing to the table?

   - mark