[AusNOG] IPv6: It's a business decision - Timing

Kevin Karp ausnog at pps.com.au
Wed Mar 13 14:03:34 EST 2013

Thanks Noel for your input - at least now we are only haggling over 
timing for v6 uptake rather than *if* uptake will occur.

As you took exception to my use of the phrase "immediate future", I'd be 
interested in your (and the list's) thoughts on this article that 
appeared last week:
Recent signals point to escalating jitters for IPv4 market 

$US40/CGNuser/year *in the short term* moving up to $US70/CGNuser/year 
sounds like it would have some fairly dramatic effects on existing 
business models - to me at least.

Of course, Lee Howard's "in the short term" may not be the same as my 
"immediate future" and maybe it's closer to your "not too distant 
future" but there's a great deal of risk associated with waiting to find 
out or even to work out what each phrase means.

I'm happy to leave that risk up to someone other than me.


[e] kevin at ipv6now.com.au
[p] +61 2 9212 6044
[w] ipv6now.com.au

More information about the AusNOG mailing list