[AusNOG] IPv6 - What Should an Engineer Address when 'Selling' IPv6 to Executives?

Bill Walker bill at wjw.co.nz
Wed Mar 6 20:01:58 EST 2013

Hi Don,

You can get native IPv6 at your address, 31 Acheson
Avenue, Mairehau, Christchurch City, so this statement isn't correct.

"The only provider in my area can't deliver it at all on their
platform."

I checked
(http://www.chorus.co.nz/service-availability-tool) and you can get
ADSL, in which case you are able to procure a DSL service from a few NZ
ISP's that offer native IPv6.

Cheers,

Bill

wrote:

>> If the members of this list had started low-key activities
back in 2011 when APNIC's last-/8 policy commenced, they'd be done by
now, the staff working on it would have received ample on-the-job
training about how it works, and the additional cost they'd have
incurred would have been pretty minimal.

> How can I put this really
tactfully? RUBBISH!

> I did exactly this.
>
> I discovered that some
of my software providers have no interest at all
> in the space.

Some of my hardware suppliers have bug after bug fix for v6 in the past

> 12 month.
>
> The only provider in my area can't deliver it at all
on their platform.

> I've looked at 3 different hardware vendors for
edge gear. The price
> point in all cases is 50% higher than v4 gear.
>

> To fix my software problem, which is FLOSS, I'm going to have to
write
> it myself, which means a truck load of learning.
>
> I've
bounced emails with any number of the leading experts in the world
> -
yes Geoff and Owen I'm looking at both of you... why? Because I

couldn't just find simple answers on wikipedia like I can for v4 for the

> stuff I need... don't even get me started on PTR issues that I still

> don't have a clue what to do with.
>
> Mark I don't have you
ability. I don't have your skill level, but I
> don't think I can be
accused of not giving this stuff a good go and I
> keep running at
it.

> We have to stop saying this stuff is simple. It's not!
>
> In
the SMB space we have dozens of different small systems with decades

of v4 learning with software systems that are really really mature -

read 40 years v's this v6 stuff which is still being thrashed out and

clearly dozens, hundreds or even thousands of us are just not across
yet.