[AusNOG] IPv6 - What Should an Engineer Address when 'Selling' IPv6 to Executives?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Mar 6 13:53:05 EST 2013

In message <51369A74.8080703 at bowenvale.co.nz>, Don Gould writes:

> On 6/03/2013 1:58 p.m., Mark Newton wrote:
> >   If the members of this list had started
> > low-key activities back in 2011 when APNIC's last-/8 policy commenced,
> > they'd be done by now, the staff working on it would have received
> > ample on-the-job training about how it works, and the additional cost
> > they'd have incurred would have been pretty minimal.
>
> How can I put this really tactfully?  RUBBISH!
>
> I did exactly this.
>
> I discovered that some of my software providers have no interest at all
> in the space.

Which is a perfect example of why everyone should be testing with
IPv6 today.  One customer complaining is a lone voice.  When the
choir complains the providers listen.

> Some of my hardware suppliers have bug after bug fix for v6 in the past
> 12 month.

Again this is a good reason to connect today.

> The only provider in my area can't deliver it at all on their platform.

So tunnel until they can.  Your network will actually be better for
testing through a tunnel.

> I've looked at 3 different hardware vendors for edge gear.  The price
> point in all cases is 50% higher than v4 gear.

Yet those prices are still cheaper that the IPv4 only gear was when you
connected to the net for the first time.

> To fix my software problem, which is FLOSS, I'm going to have to write
> it myself, which means a truck load of learning.
>
> I've bounced emails with any number of the leading experts in the world
> - yes Geoff and Owen I'm looking at both of you...  why?  Because I
> couldn't just find simple answers on wikipedia like I can for v4 for the
> stuff I need... don't even get me started on PTR issues that I still
> don't have a clue what to do with.
>
> Mark I don't have you ability.  I don't have your skill level, but I
> don't think I can be accused of not giving this stuff a good go and I
> keep running at it.
>
> We have to stop saying this stuff is simple.  It's not!

Yet millions of Comcast residential customers are on IPv6 now.  All
99.999% of them have done is replace the CPE router and/or modem.
Their Windows, Macs and Linux boxes just work.  There existing IPv4
only equipment continues to work.

For most SMB this will be the same story.

Now Comcast themselves did a lot of work.  They upgraded equipment.
They ran pilot programs.  They paid companies, like ISC, to develop
new products, which we give away to help everybody.  They worked
with CPE vendors to get working images in their boxes.  They sent
engineers to IETF's to participate in working groups.