[AusNOG] IPv6 -"Nope, we're not at the edge" - Cisco...

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Wed Mar 6 17:30:04 EST 2013

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 07:23:09PM +1300, Don Gould wrote:

 > Oh you've gone nuts!
 > 4in4, 4in6, CGN, the list just doesn't stop...
 > Here's a radical idea, why don't we just put a publicly visible IP
 > address on the stupid little black box and then the SIP packets can just
 > hit port 5060?!

Your SIP service provider is probably using a session border controller,
in which case the stupid little black box makes outbound connections,
and the session border controller handles any NAT traversal issues
to make it all work.

Or, if SIP in your circumstances is uniquely difficult, then leave
it on IPv4. It really doesn't matter. As long as you're making at least
SOME headway you'll get to it eventually.

  - mark