[AusNOG] IPv6 -"Nope, we're not at the edge" - Cisco...

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Wed Mar 6 17:40:32 EST 2013

On 6/03/2013 7:30 p.m., Mark Newton wrote:
> .
>
> Or, if SIP in your circumstances is uniquely difficult, then leave
> it on IPv4. It really doesn't matter. As long as you're making at least
> SOME headway you'll get to it eventually.

Sure in 2003 you could have sold me on that one... but in 2013...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

In 2013 I should be putting new kit in that's v6 from day one, that's
what you've all been telling me.

Now you've totally changed the tune and am telling me that it's all ok
to just keep maintaining everything v4, at which point I just say "why
bother v6 at all", we have to hold on to v4 anyway, get back to me in 10
more years when we actually need v6.

But let's get a reality check here.  If I get 10 more years down the
track, at the current rate of IPv4 public space depletion, we're all
going to be experts on making everything run with CGN.

It I just accept that the worlds biggest networking company, Cisco,
should just be allowed off the hook on new products then I'm just
kidding myself the v6 is important at all.

25 years working with Microsoft products has taught me that 'big IT'
brings you these 'must have' technologies all the time, some fly, some die.

What's going on here is that SMB is taking a wait and see if this
technology is the one that actually flies or if we actually share out
the v4 space properly and use CGN, and companies like Cisco aren't
helping that charge in the v6 direction, they're making me hold a foot
in each camp.

Not ok Mark.