[AusNOG] IPv4

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Sat Mar 2 18:20:10 EST 2013

Cheers Bevan

The solution to 1. is to charge full economic prices for things, that will
hit people where their hearts are; their wallets. You could even do it like
the fee added on when you get your car serviced "oil disposal".. instead it
would be "IPv4 provisioning" or something like that.

If all the drug dealers in "The Wire" could get together and sort out there
minor problems for a massive gain in cooperative bargaining, then while it
is a TV show, perhaps we can aspire to do the same thing.

I'm not proposing serversaustralia and ozservers and nextDC be the only
ones to stick their necks out, but I don't think it would be seen as
conspiracy or market manipulation by the government were they to get
together and work out a plan that would see them all through the next 5
years of transition. The reverse way of dealing it would be to discount
services that operate on IPv6-only, that might have less of an impact on
the customer.

Of course, that would actually require the cost of IPv4 going up, not down
like it has in this case. Still, if companies were made to pay 10x what
they are now for ip space, they might consider the current pain vs future
pain equation to start weighing heavily in the now.