[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's presentation from Comms Day yesterday - NBN fibre on copper prices

Bevan Slattery bevan at slattery.net.au
Sun Jul 21 02:48:19 EST 2013

"NBNco have not started the whole cut copper and migrate over, just new
installs.  So Simon's idea would cost shift money from NBNCo to the RSP, but
make actually migrating people far more complex, time consuming and
difficult for the 8million or so PSTN services still out there (plus/minus a
few million, but still significant). I'd suggest it's a great idea for
post-implementation, but for the upcoming phase, I actually think it's
something that'll make the RSP/NBNCo effort much harder, more costly and
more fraught with failure.

MMC (watching from afar)."

Taking MMC's points a little further, if you are rolling out an FttP network
select GPON, then I can understand some of the technical (and security)
reasons of why NBN may wish to "own" the ONU.  The risk of having
potentially rogue devices on a GPON network could be problematic.

NBN Co. owning the ONU should help reduce the risk of unintended denial of
service incidents due to faulty or incorrectly installed ONU (not
necessarily help intentional denial of service attacks), eavesdropping, Man
in the Middle (MITM) Attacks through forged OLT and ONU spoofing.  An
excellent presentation summary highlighting the issues by Stanford
University researchers can be found here:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.85.5969&rep=rep1&ty
pe=pdf

In fact this matter and the Stanford University Research was highlighted in
DBCDE's Implementation Study (page 206)
http://data.dbcde.gov.au/nbn/NBN-Implementation-Study-complete-report.pdf

"A 2007 Stanford University study outlines three potential security
concerns: denial of service attacks; eavesdropping; and masquerading of an
ONU (e.g. continuously transmitting upstream to block transmission of
information from other ONTs). However, GPON vendors down play the
significance of these risks. As GPON deployments become more widespread,
standards and technology to ensure the security of these networks are likely
to emerge."

GPON is not as secure as people may think through unencrypted upstreams and
I think even clear passwords, so my guess is that an NBN Co. Also one faulty
ONU could take down the 31 other customers on the span.  ONU management is
one way to try to manage this issue and without understanding their actual
config, I'm guessing there is strong auth between the ONU and OLT.  Also
there might be some DoS protection built in these days.  Again, it won't
solve some of the security issues for those with intent to
intercept/interfere but I'm sure it will help.

I think there is inherent risk, particularly in the early stages of
deployment of trying to maintain a certain level of visibility/managability
and consistency to end user deployments by letting providers connect
whatever ONU they choose.  If the FttP deployment was EP2P then that would
be a different story!  Anyway food for thought.

Cheers

[b]

PS:  Disclaimer that I could be a little outdated in GPON security, but this
was the lay of the land as I understood it 3-4 years ago.