[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's presentation from Comms Day yesterday - NBN fibre on copper prices

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jul 21 11:30:28 EST 2013

>________________________________

This sort of risk has existed for a long time when there is active equipment on the customers' premises that is a critical component of providing the service. I remember hearing more than a decade ago that people (in the U.S. IIRC) were reflashing the firmware or settings in their cable modems to lift their service bandwidths above what they were paying for. This sort of problem has existed earlier than that with electricity and water networks, where meters measuring usage could be interfered with by customers. There are some interesting stories in the "Monitoring and Metering" chapter of this book:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/book.html

I wouldn't be all that surprised if the NBN ONTs are running Linux, and I wouldn't be all that surprised if somebody works out how to pop them open and access both the JTAG/serial consoles of them (the amount of success in doing this sort of thing to ADSL and similar CPE, resulting in projects like OpenWRT, has made knowledge of the techniques on how to do it common and easily found). It'd be interesting to know if there are any or how many security measures are present in NBNco's ONUs to mitigate this risk (physical interference detection then destruction, signed software images, public key rather than shared key authentication to the network etc.?) Hopefully history has been learned from.

>I think there is inherent risk, particularly in the early stages of deployment of trying to maintain a certain level of visibility/managability and consistency to end user deployments by letting providers connect whatever ONU they choose.  If the FttP deployment was EP2P then that would be a different story!

Agree. The better model is one where all service parameters / security are implemented and enforced off of customers premises in a more secure physical facility, such as what occurs in ADSL. That doesn't mean active equipment can't be present at the customers premises, but it does prevent it from performing any service or security policy enforcement functions.