[AusNOG] Consumer HD Teleconferencing

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Thu Oct 7 11:36:28 EST 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Andrew Oskam <percy at th3interw3bs.net> wrote:

> I guess the biggest problem that people see with this selling point is that your average Joe won't be doing HD Teleconferencing.
> While the NBN is being rolled out to everyone, the people who actually DO use or at least plan to use HD teleconferencing are typically (keyword being typically) are the ones who can already afford a high upstream broadband service.
> I guess the point I'm trying to make is that this "standard" isn't really a standard that is adopted by the mainstream of Australia. Therefore I don't see it as a strong selling point for today.
> The future however could be a different story..

And that's been the argument of many on the list.  Yes, we don't know
what we don't know, and we cannot predict the future.

Still, Telstra didn't seem to mind doing the deal so that they could
get their mitts on spectrum for LTE and beyond, and given the bogan's
love of the iPhone, there's some things we can reliably predict. (I
have been lobbying ThingsBogansLike to do a "The i-Phone" piece for
some time, but since their writers probably all own one, maybe they're
embarassed, or just keeping it for their book?)

Don't ever forget how rude a companion history can be, especially for
marketing people.  Take this quote from one Laura Powers, then of
Nortel;

"I don't think you'll ever see the payphone go away"[1]  :-)

[1] http://www.phoneplusmag.com/articles/1998/12/payphone-providers-need-to-get-smart.aspx

When was the last time you saw a payphone used for anything other than
someone setting up an OxyContin deal?

-a