[AusNOG] Consumer HD Teleconferencing

David Connors david at codify.com
Thu Oct 7 12:13:06 EST 2010

On 7 October 2010 10:36, Andrew Fort <afort at choqolat.org> wrote:

> Still, Telstra didn't seem to mind doing the deal so that they could
> get their mitts on spectrum for LTE and beyond, and given the bogan's

Wasn't the deal just that they would be permitted to participate in the
auctions?

> love of the iPhone, there's some things we can reliably predict. (I
> have been lobbying ThingsBogansLike to do a "The i-Phone" piece for
> some time, but since their writers probably all own one, maybe they're
> embarassed, or just keeping it for their book?)

Don't you think you're being a bit prejudicial as to what constitutes a
valid use of the Internet?

I had the garden dug up a few months ago by a bobcat contractor. He pulled
out his iPhone at the end of the job and I joked that he was a brave tradie
to walk around with the one device that is guaranteed to smash when
dropped. The Bobcat driver then proceeded to bang on to me (this is the
bobcat driver talking to the software engineer remember) about how his
business partner organises all of their bookings with Google Calendar and
how easy it all is now because they can all see where each other are going
on which days.

The plumber from BCC who unblocked the drain in our backyard saw I had an
iPhone and he would not shut up about AT&T vs Telstra  + iPhone 4 death grip
and btw what are my favourite apps. I just wanted him to make the sewerage
work and get the torrent of sh1t out of my backyard.

To dismiss the uptake of wireless and devices like the iPhone as a
bogan-anomaly is something of a mistake, imo.

[ ... ]

Notwithstanding Internet-enabled fridges, dishwashers and remote controls, I
would expect the majority use case for the Internet in the future to be
wireless and mobile. Telstra probably understands that pretty well.

It would be interesting to check back in five years and see how many 720p
video calls are placed via the umi/GoogleTV/Playstation4/whatever on NBN vs
Facetime on iPhone 5/6/7 over LTE.

--
*David Connors* | david at codify.com | www.codify.com
Software Engineer