[AusNOG] SMH: "No room at the internet"

Kevin Karp ausnog at pps.com.au
Sun May 23 12:39:28 EST 2010

Hi Adrian

>It actually abuses persistent connections betterer. Proxies can
>(under the right conditions) take multiple incoming requests to
>the same destination (say, the maps keyhole servers) and serialise
>them into a fewer persistent connections.

>Besides, it's actually rather cheap to have the first half dozen
>layers of the tiles cached. That's what we found - once the users
>had browsed most of the globe, the tiles stayed pretty well cached. :)

Wow, very impressive, especially as I'm sure your tests have accommodated streetview.

It's terrific to have more than one solution to discuss...

I'll incorporate your results into my presentation (as I'm sure you have already done with Dr Miyakawa's  results into yours) but I don't think I'll be able to speak as authoritatively as you clearly can - do you have a reference to a published paper to which I can refer the audience?

Many thanks.

Kevin

--
STUDENTNET® - Highly Commended: Australian Privacy Awards 2008
    Kevin Karp                            kjk at studentnet.edu.au
    next.studentnet.edu.au                  Tel +61 2 9281 1626
    Suite 1, 89 Jones St
    Ultimo NSW 2007 Australia              Fax +61 2 9281 3047