[AusNOG] SMH: "No room at the internet"

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Thu May 20 15:31:10 EST 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010, Kevin Karp wrote:

> How does that work if each student is visiting a different geographic
> location in Google Maps?
>
> (Sorry forgot to mention that was part of the challenge of the in class
> assignment - sure cuts down on cheating not like the olden days!).

It actually abuses persistent connections betterer. Proxies can
(under the right conditions) take multiple incoming requests to
the same destination (say, the maps keyhole servers) and serialise
them into a fewer persistent connections.

Besides, it's actually rather cheap to have the first half dozen
layers of the tiles cached. That's what we found - once the users
had browsed most of the globe, the tiles stayed pretty well cached. :)

Adrian