[AusNOG] SMH: "No room at the internet"

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Sun May 23 16:24:43 EST 2010

On Sun, May 23, 2010, Kevin Karp wrote:

> >Besides, it's actually rather cheap to have the first half dozen
> >layers of the tiles cached. That's what we found - once the users
> >had browsed most of the globe, the tiles stayed pretty well cached. :)
>
> Wow, very impressive, especially as I'm sure your tests have accommodated
> streetview.

Nope. This happened before streetview. I haven't looked into streetview
tile caching.

> It's terrific to have more than one solution to discuss...
>
> I'll incorporate your results into my presentation (as I'm sure you have
> already done with Dr Miyakawa's  results into yours) but I don't think I'll
> be able to speak as authoritatively as you clearly can - do you have a
> reference to a published paper to which I can refer the audience?

There's nothing published about it. Partially because I did it during
AusNOG 2008 whilst listening to lectures, and partially because it
actually has nothing to do with my undergraduate studies or current
employment.

I'm happy to write up something more formal if there's sufficient interest
but I'll have to run off and find another test bed to gather some statistics
with.

Adrian